Re: Identify missing publications from publisher while create/alter subscription. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Identify missing publications from publisher while create/alter subscription.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 7:53 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:

> The patch was not applying on HEAD, attached patch which is rebased on
> top of HEAD.

IIUC, this patch provides an option that allows us to give an error if
while creating/altering subcsiction, user gives non-existant
publications. I am not sure how useful it is to add such behavior via
an option especially when we know that it can occur in some other ways
like after creating the subscription, users can independently drop
publication from publisher. I think it could be useful to provide
additional information here but it would be better if we can follow
Euler's suggestion [1] in the thread where he suggested issuing a
WARNING if the publications don't exist and document that the
subscription catalog can have non-existent publications.

I think we should avoid adding new options unless they are really
required and useful.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/a2f2fba6-40dd-44cc-b40e-58196bb77f1c%40www.fastmail.com

--
With Regards,