Re: BUG #18280: logical decoding build wrong snapshot for subtransactions - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: BUG #18280: logical decoding build wrong snapshot for subtransactions
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 3:30 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
<kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> > While looking closely at the test result, I wondered how the following
> > part of test "s0_begin" "s0_truncate" "s1_checkpoint" "s1_get_changes"
> > "s0_insert_part" "s1_get_changes" "s0_commit" can see the insert when
> > the containing transaction is not yet committed. Then, I found it is
> > because the insert is performed from session 1 due to way it is
> > declared.
> >
> > session "s1"
> > step "s1_get_changes" { SELECT data FROM
> > pg_logical_slot_get_changes('isolation_slot', NULL, NULL,
> > 'skip-empty-xacts', '1', 'include-xids', '0'); }
> > +step "s0_insert_part" { INSERT INTO tbl1_part VALUES (1); }
> >
> > I think this session should be performed from seesion-1 and we need
> > one more get_changes() call to see the problem. I have modified the
> > test accordingly and also changed the comments. See the attached and
> > let me know what you people think.
>
> Agreed your point and thanks for updating the patch.
> I confirmed your patch passed the test on both PG14 and PG15.
>
> One comment for commit message:
>

>     This can happen when during restart, none of the WAL records from the
>     subtransaction was decoded and top-level xact contains a DDL.
> >

> It may be OK, the word "restart" may be confusing because it does not mean for
> the server instance. How about "decode" or "reply"?

Okay, we can change it to 'decoding'. I'll do this before commit
unless there are more comments. I'll push this early next week
(probably on Monday) unless I see any comments.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.