Re: BUG #14420: Parallel worker segfault - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: BUG #14420: Parallel worker segfault
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 3:36 AM,  <rotten@windfish.net> wrote:

> Bug reference:      14420
> Logged by:          Rick Otten
> Email address:      rotten@windfish.net
> PostgreSQL version: 9.6.1
> Operating system:   Ubuntu 16.04
>
> This just happened on my production 9.6.1 system:
>
> 2016-11-11 21:31:26.215 UTC    LOG:  worker process: parallel worker for PID
> 1737 (PID 6792) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault
> 2016-11-11 21:31:26.215 UTC    LOG:  terminating any other active server
> processes
>
> I had a lot of stuff running concurrently, so I'm not sure which query
> caused the failure.  There is nothing else obvious or illuminating in the
> logs that I can see.  After it recovered, everything went back to normal.

It is difficult to find out the problem by above information.  Can you
share server log?  I am not sure if we can find anything from it, but
at least we can try.

> I figured I should report this even if I don't have much to go on yet.

Thanks for the report.

> Is there a core file somewhere that would be of help?  (I'm not seeing
> one.)

If it is generated it should be in $PGDATA directory.   I have found
few articles [1][2] on web related to this which could be useful for
you.

> Should I turn up debug or enable something to catch more information if it
> happens again?

I think core file can help here.

[1] - https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Getting_a_stack_trace_of_a_running_PostgreSQL_backend_on_Linux/BSD
[2] - http://bajis-postgres.blogspot.in/2014/03/want-to-ensure-that-postgres-generates.html