Re: Key management with tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Key management with tests
Date
Re: Key management with tests  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 5:38 AM Tom Kincaid <tomjohnkincaid@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > OK, so we don't want it.  That's fine with me.
> >
> > That's not what I said...
> >

>  I think the majority of us believe that it is important we take this
> first step towards a solid TDE implementation in PostgreSQL that is
> built around the community processes which involves general consensus.
>
> Before this feature falls into the “we will never do it because we
> will never build consensus" category and community PostgreSQL
> potentially gets locked out of more deployment scenarios that require
> this feature I would like to see if I can help with this current
> attempt at it. I will share that I am concerned that if the people who
> have been involved in this to date can’t get this in, it will never
> happen.
>
> Admittedly I am a novice on this topic, and the majority of the
> PostgreSQL source code, however I am hopeful enough (those of you who
> know me understand that I suffer from eternal optimism) that I am
> going to attempt to help.
>
> Is there a design document for a Postgres feature of this size and
> scope that people feel would serve as a good example? Alternatively,
> is there a design document template that has been successfully used in
> the past?

We normally write the design considerations and choices we made with
the reasons in README and code comments. Personally, I am not sure if
there is a need for any specific document per-se but a README and
detailed comments in the code should suffice what people are worried
about here. It is mostly from the perspective that other developers
reading the code, want to do bug-fix, or later enhance that code
should be able to understand it. One recent example I can give is
Peter's work on bottom-up deletion [1] which I have read today where I
find that the design is captured via README, appropriate comments in
the code, and documentation. This feature is quite different and
probably a lot more new concepts are being introduced but I hope that
will give you some clue.

[1] - https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=d168b666823b6e0bcf60ed19ce24fb5fb91b8ccf

--
With Regards,