Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 2:42 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 7:23 AM Masahiko Sawada
> <masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 at 12:11, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I think NAMEDATALEN is used for many other objects as well and I don't
> > > think we want to change it in foreseeable future, so that doesn't
> > > sound to be a good reason to invent OIDs for slots.  OTOH, I do
> > > understand it would be better to send OIDs than names for slots but I
> > > am just not sure if it is a good idea to invent a new way to generate
> > > OIDs (which is different from how we do it for other objects in the
> > > system) for this purpose.
> >
> > I'm concerned that there might be users who are using custom
> > PostgreSQL that increased NAMEDATALEN for some reason. But indeed, I
> > also agree with your concerns. So perhaps we can go with the current
> > PoC patch approach as the first version (i.g., sending slot drop
> > message to stats collector). When we need such a unique identifier
> > also for other purposes, we will be able to change this feature so
> > that it uses that identifier for this statistics reporting purpose.
> >

> Okay, feel to submit the version atop my revert patch.

Attached, please find the rebased version.  I have kept prorows as 10
instead of 100 for pg_stat_get_replication_slots because I don't see
much reason for keeping the value more than the default value of
max_replication_slots.

As we are targeting this patch for PG14, so I think we can now add the
functionality to reset the stats as well.  What do you think?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment