Re: Allow logical replication to copy tables in binary format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Allow logical replication to copy tables in binary format
Date
Re: Allow logical replication to copy tables in binary format  ("Euler Taveira" <euler@eulerto.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 6:17 PM Melih Mutlu <m.melihmutlu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 Mar 2023 Tue at 04:10 Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As per what I could read in this thread, most people prefer to use the
>> existing binary option rather than inventing a new way (option) to
>> binary copy in the initial sync phase. Do you agree?
>

> I agree.
> What do you think about the version checks? I removed any kind of check since it’s currently a different option.
Shouldwe check publisher version before doing binary copy to ensure that the publisher node supports binary option of
COPYcommand?

It is not clear to me which version check you wanted to add because we
seem to have a binary option in COPY from the time prior to logical
replication. I feel we need a publisher version 14 check as that is
where we start to support binary mode transfer in logical replication.
See the check in function libpqrcv_startstreaming().

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.