Re: postgresql.auto.conf read from wrong directory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: postgresql.auto.conf read from wrong directory
Date
Re: postgresql.auto.conf read from wrong directory  (Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> wrote:

> Re: Amit Kapila 2014-06-13 <CAA4eK1KLn1SmgVtd=5emAbQxrrPVeEdTBUU94E-rEPMwxWVL+A@mail.gmail.com>
> > Agreed, I had mentioned in Notes section of document.  Apart from that
> > I had disallowed parameters that are excluded from postgresql.conf by
> > initdb (Developer options) and they are recommended in user manual
> > to be not used in production.
>
> Excluding developer options seems too excessive to me. ALTER SYSTEM
> should be useful for developing too.

Developer options are mainly for debugging information or might help in one
of the situations, so I thought somebody might not want them to be part of
server configuration once they are set.  We already disallow parameters like
config_file, transaction_isolation, etc. which are disallowed to be set in
postgresql.conf.  Could you please explain me a bit in which
situations/scenarios, do you think that allowing developer options via Alter
System can be helpful?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.