Re: Unhelpful initdb error message - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Unhelpful initdb error message
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6 March 2012 16:18, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:11:20 am Thom Brown wrote:
>> On 6 March 2012 16:04, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The postmaster.pid is located outside the data directory, but points back
>> > to the data directory.   Not sure where Debian, though at a guess
>> > somewhere in /var. Any way search for postmaster.pid.
>>
>> I'm not sure, because if I use a new data directory, initdb it and
>> start the service, the postmaster.pid appears in it, and not as a
>> symbolic link.
>>
>> I did a search for postmaster.pid in the whole of /var and it only
>> shows up "/var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main/postmaster.pid"
>

> My guess is if you open that file you will find it points back to the old
> directory.  So are you  still running the Debian packaged version of Postgres?
> Or in other words does a ps show any other postmasters running other than the
> new one you built?

No, only the ones running as the postgres user.

Here's the contents of the pid file in /var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main/

1199
/var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main
1330883367
5432
/var/run/postgresql
localhost
  5432001         0

And if I start my development copy, this is the content of its postmaster.pid:

27061
/home/thom/Development/data
1331050950
5488