Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: sepgsql: Support for new post-ALTER access hook. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: sepgsql: Support for new post-ALTER access hook.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 27 March 2013 12:58, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
>> On 27 March 2013 12:33, Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> wrote:
>>> sepgsql: Support for new post-ALTER access hook.
>>
>> I notice that due to commit bc5334d8 I can't actually build the docs
>> at the moment.
>>
>> But I think the language here definitely needs improving:
>>
>> "On CREATE FUNCTION, install permission will be checked if leakproof
>> attribute was given, not only create on the new function. This
>> permission will be also checked when user tries to turn on leakproof
>> attribute using ALTER FUNCTION command, with setattr permission on the
>> function being altered."
>
> What do you suggest?  I thought about changing the wording but the new
> wording is parallel to what's already in that paragraph, so likely the
> whole thing needs to be rewritten if we change any of it.  That seemed
> beyond the scope of this commit, but I'm happy to have us do it.

Perhaps something along the lines of:

"When a CREATE FUNCTION command is executed, the install permission
will be checked to determine whether the LEAKPROOF attribute was
present. This permission will also be checked when the user tries to
apply the LEAKPROOF attribute using the ALTER FUNCTION command."

I'm not sure what the last part is actually describing ("with setattr
permission on the function being altered."), so I'm not sure how that
should be read.  It doesn't help that I'm not familiar with SELinux
terms.

>> And are the literals there capitalised when rendered?  If not, could I
>> suggest they be capitalised in the SGML?
>
> AFAIK, there's nothing that would change capitalization automatically
> in our doc toolchain.  Possibly LEAKPROOF should be capitalized but
> the rest look right.  setattr, etc. should not be capitalized, at
> least according to my limited understanding of how SELinux
> capitalization conventions work.

I was really just thinking of CREATE and LEAKPROOF, but I'm not sure
"CREATE" should be in there anyway.

--
Thom