Re: jsonb_set array append hack? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: jsonb_set array append hack?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 20 September 2015 at 16:17, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure, what behavior is expected in this case?
Right now the following logic was implemented:
    "we trying to set an element inside an array, but we've got a non-integer path item
    ("nonsense" in this particular case), so we're going to add a new element at the end of array by default"

If it's wrong, should we refuse to perform such kind of operations, or should we replace
    "vehicle_type": ["car", "van"]
    "vehicle_type: {"nonsense": "motorcycle"}
?

(please bottom-post)

I would expect some kind of error.  We're trying to address a position in an array, and we're instead passing a key.  If it completes successfully, the chances are it isn't what the user intended.

Thom