Re: Unhelpful initdb error message - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Unhelpful initdb error message
Date
Re: Unhelpful initdb error message  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On 6 March 2012 17:00, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > So how are getting the file above? I thought initdb refused to init the
>> > directory and that you could not find pid file it was referring to? Just
>> > on a hunch, what is in /tmp?
>>
>> I got the above output when I created a new data directory and initdb'd it.
>
> Still not understanding. In your original post you said
> /home/thom/Development/data was the original directory you could not initdb. How
> could it also be the new directory you can initdb as indicated by the
> postmaster.pid?

/home/thom/Development/data was causing problems so:

mv data databroken
mkdir data
initdb

... working fine again.  I then used the postmaster.pid from this when
started up.  But if I do:

pg_ctl stop
rm -rf data
mv databroken data
initdb

... error messages appear again.

> From your previous post:
>  thom@swift:~/Development$ pg_ctl stop
>  pg_ctl: could not send stop signal (PID: 2807): No such process
>
> Doing the above without qualifying which version of pg_ctl you are using or what
> data directory you are pointing is dangerous.  The combination of  implied
> pathing and preset env variables could lead to all sorts of mischief.

Unlikely since pg_ctl isn't available in my search path once I remove
my local development bin dir from it.  All non-client tools for the
packaged version aren't available to normal users.  Those are all in
/usr/lib/postgresql/9.1/bin.  The only ones exposed to the search path
through symbolic links are:

clusterdb
createdb
createlang