Re: [GSoC2014] Patch ALTER TABLE ... SET LOGGED - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: [GSoC2014] Patch ALTER TABLE ... SET LOGGED
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 21 August 2014 14:45, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 5:23 AM, Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> wrote:

> Re: Thom Brown 2014-08-20 <CAA-aLv7TeF8iM=7U7TsgL4S5Jh1a+shQ_Ny7gOrZc_g_YJ7uKA@mail.gmail.com>
> > "ERROR:  table test is not permanent"
> >
> > Perhaps this would be better as "table test is unlogged" as "permanent"
> > doesn't match the term used in the DDL syntax.
>
> I was also wondering that, but then figured that when ALTER TABLE SET
> UNLOGGED is invoked on temp tables, the error message "is not
> permanent" was correct while the apparent opposite "is unlogged" is
> wrong.
>
> Christoph
> --
> cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/

Thom,

Christoph is right... make no sense the message... see the example:

fabrizio=# create temp table foo();
CREATE TABLE
fabrizio=# alter table foo set unlogged;
ERROR:  table foo is unlogged

The previous message is better:

fabrizio=# create temp table foo();
CREATE TABLE
fabrizio=# alter table foo set unlogged;
ERROR:  table foo is not permanent
fabrizio=#
fabrizio=# create unlogged table foo2();
CREATE TABLE
fabrizio=# alter table foo2 set unlogged;
ERROR:  table foo2 is not permanent

To me, that's even more confusing:

CREATE TEMP TABLE test();
CREATE UNLOGGED TABLE test2();

# ALTER TABLE test SET LOGGED;
ERROR:  table test is not unlogged

# ALTER TABLE test SET UNLOGGED;
ERROR:  table test is not permanent

# ALTER TABLE test2 SET UNLOGGED;
ERROR:  table test2 is not permanent

They're being rejected for different reasons but the error message is identical.  Permanent suggests the opposite of temporary, and unlogged tables aren't temporary.

--
Thom