Re: man pages for contrib programs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: man pages for contrib programs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4 April 2012 19:53, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> ... would be really nice to have.  Especially pgbench and pg_upgrade for
> me, but it would be useful to have man pages for everything.
>
> Unfortunately, we can't just replace the sect1's in in Appendix F [0]
> with refentry's, because the content model of DocBook doesn't allow
> that.  (You can't have a mixed sequence of sect1 and refentry, only one
> or the other.)
>
> [0] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/contrib.html
>
> Which leads to a somewhat related point.  The current content listing in
> Appendix F mixes extensions (backend modules) with client and server
> programs.  Who can guess which is which here:

> pg_archivecleanup
> pgbench
> pg_buffercache
> pgcrypto
> pg_freespacemap
> pgrowlocks
> pg_standby
> pg_stat_statements
>
> I think it would be useful to split this up into three sections:
>
> F.1. Extensions
> F.2. Client Applications
> F.3. Server Applications

This is something I raised previously, but it didn't really attract
much comment: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-10/msg00781.php

+1 to anything that separates these out.  Cramming them into one list
like we currently have is confusing.

--
Thom