Re: Patch (2): Implement failover on libpq connect level. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Patch (2): Implement failover on libpq connect level.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 23 October 2015 at 12:52, Victor Wagner <vitus@wagner.pp.ru> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 14:33:11 +0100
> Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:

>> > I'm sending imporoved verison of patch. As Olexander Shulgin noted,
>> > previous version of patch lacks support for service files.
>> >
>> > Now support for service files is implemented and multiple host
>> > statements in the service file are allowed.
>>
>> This is causing breakage:
>>
>> $ pg_basebackup -v -x -D standby1 -h localhost -p 5532 -U rep_user
>> row number 0 is out of range 0..-1
>
> It seems that pg_basebackup should always specify readonly attribute
> for the connection.
>
> Your data directory is named standby1, so I suspect
> that you are trying to make backup from read-only standby instance of
> the base.

No, the -D option on pg_basebackup specifies the directory to receive
the backup into, not from.  This is backing up a primary instance.

> Can you check if problem persists in your setup with command
>
> pg_basebackup -v -x -D standby1 \
>   -d "host=localhost port=5532 user=rep_user readonly=1"

Yes, this works:

$ pg_basebackup -v -x -D standby1 -d "host=localhost port=5532
user=rep_user readonly=1"
transaction log start point: 0/2000028 on timeline 1
transaction log end point: 0/2000130
pg_basebackup: base backup completed

Thom