Re: Unhelpful initdb error message - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Unhelpful initdb error message
Date
Re: Unhelpful initdb error message  (Thom Brown <thom@linux.com>)
Re: Unhelpful initdb error message  (dennis jenkins <dennis.jenkins.75@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 6 March 2012 16:04, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
> The postmaster.pid is located outside the data directory, but points back to the
> data directory.   Not sure where Debian, though at a guess somewhere in /var.
> Any way search for postmaster.pid.

I'm not sure, because if I use a new data directory, initdb it and
start the service, the postmaster.pid appears in it, and not as a
symbolic link.

I did a search for postmaster.pid in the whole of /var and it only
shows up "/var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main/postmaster.pid"

--
Thom