Re: JBoss w/int8 primary keys in postgres ... - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From James Robinson
Subject Re: JBoss w/int8 primary keys in postgres ...
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Sunday, September 7, 2003, at 06:44  AM, Paul Thomas wrote:

> It would need to settable in the url string to be used in an EJB
> container.
>
> Comments?

Well, reading the associated threads more closely, I see that Tom
announced that there was a proposed fix in the backend for 7.4 (see
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2002-10/msg00164.php). I'm
cooking 7.4B2 right now to see if anything is indeed different. But,
given the most recent discussion in performance-land, dated this past
Friday, I'm not expecting too much.

A backend fix would be the clearest answer, since the principle of
least surprise is being violated by the backend, not the JDBC driver.
I'm just not sure if that is/will be done in a timely enough fashon,
given I have this problem *now*, and our particular frontend-of-choice
can indeed inject a lossless cast in the setLong() path (and, likewise,
perhaps a '::int2' for the setShort() path as well).

CMP will be the death of us all.

James