Unable to Vacuum Large Defragmented Table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igal Sapir
Subject Unable to Vacuum Large Defragmented Table
Date
Re: Unable to Vacuum Large Defragmented Table  (David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
I have a table for which pg_relation_size() shows only 31MB, but pg_total_relation_size() shows a whopping 84GB.

The database engine is running inside a Docker container, with the data mounted as a volume from a partition on the host's file system.

When I try to run `VACUUM FULL`, the disk usage goes up until it reaches the full capacity of the partition (about 27GB of free space), at which point it fails.

How can I reclaim the disk space here other than write the data to a new table and drop the old one?

Thank you,

Igal