Re: iso-8859-1 type name bool - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Igal Sapir
Subject Re: iso-8859-1 type name bool
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:14 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:54:53PM -0700, Igal Sapir wrote:
> Thank you, Michael, but my goal is not to just build from source, but to
> run Postgres in an IDE.  I tried CLion because it's modern and cross
> platform, but I am open to other IDEs.
>
> What IDEs do Postgres hackers use (other than vi with gcc)?

A set of N people would likely result in more than (N+1) different
approaches when it comes to that.  The environment is old school here
as I just have a set of terminals coupled with emacs as editor and
gcc/clang, but you have a large set of editors at your disposal (nano,
vi, etc.).

I'd actually be happy with (N+1) different approaches.  It will allow me, and others like, to choose the one that works for us best.

> Is there any documentation or posts on how to set up the project in an IDE?

It depends on what you are actually trying to do and how you want to
ease your development experience.  I have little experience with CLion
or such kind of tools, some with Eclipse, but I find that kind of
cumbersome as well when it comes to C.

At the moment I am trying to run psql in a debugger with breakpoints.  I have spent many hours troubleshooting a `\copy` from a large CSV that kept failing, until I realized that there was a null character in the middle of a quoted string.  I'd be happy to submit a patch that at least warns of such issues when they happen.

Thanks,

Igal