Passing a dynamic interval to generate_series() - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Igal Sapir
Subject Passing a dynamic interval to generate_series()
Date
Re: Passing a dynamic interval to generate_series()
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I am trying to pass a dynamic interval to generate_series() with date range.

This works as expected, and generates a series with an interval of 1 month:

SELECT generate_series(
    date_trunc('month', current_date),
    date_trunc('month', current_date + interval '7 month'),
    interval '1 month'
)

This works as expected and returns an interval of 1 month:

SELECT ('1 ' || 'month')::interval;

But this throws an error (SQL Error [42601]: ERROR: syntax error at or near "'1 '"):

SELECT generate_series(
    date_trunc('month', current_date),
    date_trunc('month', current_date + interval '7 month'),
    interval ('1 ' || 'month')::interval
)

And this returns a series with interval of 1 second??

SELECT generate_series(
    date_trunc('month', current_date),
    date_trunc('month', current_date + interval '7 month'),
    (interval '1 ' || 'month')::interval
)

Because this returns an interval of 1 second:

SELECT (interval '1 ' || 'month')::interval;

Is that a bug?

I am able to work around the issue using a CASE statement, but shouldn't it work simply by concatenating the string with the || operator?

Thank you,

Igal