Is it safe to stop postgres in between pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jacob Scott
Subject Is it safe to stop postgres in between pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Does upgrading a a disk being used by postgres (9.1, on Ubuntu) with the following process sound safe?
  1. pg_start_backup
  2. Take a filesystem snapshot (of a volume containing postgres data but not pg_xlog)
  3. Bring a new higher performing disk online from snapshot
  4. pg_ctl stop
  5. switch disks (umount/remount at same mountpoint)
  6. pg_ctl start
  7. pg_stop_backup
This seems like an odd use case because pg_start_backup is designed for performing on-line backups, but I think it will give me minimum downtime.

Thanks,

Jacob