Re: Postgresql background writer and checkpointer memory utilization in Linux server - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Mohammed Afsar
Subject Re: Postgresql background writer and checkpointer memory utilization in Linux server
Date
List pgsql-admin
Dear Tom,

This issue is occurred in postgresql 11 version only not in postgresql 9.4 and also in postgresql Linux environments I have seen when there is no transaction running database background processes are not going to occupies the server memory.

Regards,
Mohammed Afsar

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020, 9:10 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Mohammed Afsar <mohammed.afsar7799@gmail.com> writes:
> Thanks for response,the exact issue which am facing is when there is no
> transaction queries are happening in database checkpointer and background
> writer is continuously utilizing memory from server.

That sounds like complete nonsense.  Those processes don't execute
queries.  It's true that they'll continue to do I/O work for some
time after queries have executed in other processes, but that's normal.

I say again that you haven't offered any evidence of having a problem
to solve.  If you don't want the database to be consuming any cycles
at all, then you should shut it down.  But if you want it to do useful
work, it's designed to spread out that work, not necessarily to do it
all before a query returns results to the client.

                        regards, tom lane