Re: date_trunc() in a specific time zone - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Paul A Jungwirth
Subject Re: date_trunc() in a specific time zone
Date
Re: date_trunc() in a specific time zone  (Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 9:58 AM Paul A Jungwirth
<pj@illuminatedcomputing.com> wrote:
> This patch adds a 3-arg version for date_trunc(text, timestamptz,
> text). I'm saying it would be nice to also have a 3-arg version for
> date_trunc(text, timestamp, text). It would do the same thing, except
> take a timestamp w/o tz and return a timestamp w/o tz.

Thinking about this some more, perhaps the timestamp-to-timestamp
version would depend on assumptions that aren't always valid. In my
world the server timezone is always UTC, and the database clients
always convert values to UTC before saving. But if those assumptions
don't hold the simple implementation of 2x AT TIME ZONE might not work
correctly. I can try it out and see....

Paul