Re: FREE hosting platforms with PostgreSQL, Java SDK, Tomcat, ecc.? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Fernando Pianegiani
Subject Re: FREE hosting platforms with PostgreSQL, Java SDK, Tomcat, ecc.?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 1:40 AM, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> wrote:
On Aug 6, 2011, at 18:03, Stuart McGraw <smcg2297@frii.com> wrote:

My point, while coming across a little harsh apparently, is that emphasis on requiring a free service projects a certain personality.

If a good service is free, like PostgreSQL is, the emphasis of using it is justified if you do good things by it. The same is valide for free hardware, but as 'we' know for the hardware is not exactly the same. However, because free file hosting exists and because my funded project ended and I cannot continue to economically support it with other incomes, I tried to ask if the use of a free hosting platform where to install free software (java, PostgreSQL, etc.) could exist.

Even just adding "or low cost" would have helped.

Unfortunately, you cannot ask questions on my behalf. I usually ask questions on the basis of my requirements and knowledge. Then, if you want, you can answer with possible comments or not or star a discussion. And finally, I would thank you in any case for your attention and your time.

That said, it wasn't the original request the got me to respond but the part about needing to eat.

I have never talked about the needing to eat!! I just wrote that my project ended, but fortunately the life of a researcher/engineer is not made just of funded projects. In any case thanks for your concern. :-)

I know "we" started it with the comment about why there are no free hosting providers and I am just as guilty for adding to it.

In all, though, I didn't mean to say anyone IS a free-loader only that you can be perceived as one and such perceptions can suppress otherwise useful responses.  In the end everyone free-loads and is taken advantage of at the same time in many different areas; and any judgements should be made only when many facts are known (if ever).

Sorry if I criticized the "free" model as somebody has defined it and as probably it is. I explained my ideas in my previous email and I don't want to bore you repeating again my point of view.

I apologize for my tone earlier but to be honest this is probably one of the calmest flame-wars I've ever seen :)

I apologize too. :-) Peace done!

The bottom line is I would not expect to find any individual or company willing or able to offer such a service, to the general public, for free.  And it is a service you are requesting as opposed to a product like PostgreSQL.  A product is more likely to be improved by the people using it compared to a service, and those improvements are likely to make it back into the original.

But, there are a number of companies that do what you need for a price.  If you feel what you are doing is important it should at least be worth your time to talk to these companies and see what arrangements can be made instead of dismissing them outright because they charge for their services.  You may find someone inclined to take on pro-bono work for a good cause; especially if your needs are modest.  In short, ask for everything and then perform the filtering yourself instead of asking others to filter for you - only you know what your actual situation is which makes anyone else's filtering only an uninformed guess.

As answered before, you cannot ask questions on my behalf. :-) I already filtered any "no free" solutions for valid reasons. What you suggest would have caused just a great loss of time for me and for the hosting providers.

David J.