Re: Adding percentile metrics to pg_stat_statements module - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Igor Calabria
Subject Re: Adding percentile metrics to pg_stat_statements module
Date
List pgsql-hackers
That's not what I wrote. My point was that we *should* store the digests
themselves, otherwise we just introduce additional errors into the
estimates, because it discards the weights/frequencies.

Sorry. I meant to write "no reason to not store the digests"

Em sex, 1 de nov de 2019 às 11:17, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> escreveu:
On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 11:11:13AM -0300, Igor Calabria wrote:
>Yeah, I agree that there's no reason to store the digests themselves and I
>really liked the idea of it being optional.

That's not what I wrote. My point was that we *should* store the digests
themselves, otherwise we just introduce additional errors into the
estimates, because it discards the weights/frequencies.

>If it turns out that memory consumption on real workloads is small enough,
>it could eventually be turned on by default.

Maybe, but it's not just about memory consumption. CPU matters too.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com