Re: Psycopg 2.5 released - Mailing list psycopg

From Daniele Varrazzo
Subject Re: Psycopg 2.5 released
Date
List psycopg
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM, Gavin M. Roy <gmr@meetme.com> wrote:
> Awesome! I appreciate all of the work that has gone into psycopg and your
> ongoing work on it.  Any chance you'll add what's needed for native PyPy
> support any time soon?

Hi Gavin,

I'm a total supporter of psycopg for PyPy, but not being a PyPy
developer I can go up to a certain limit. I've helped developing
psycopg2-ctypes 2.4.4
(https://github.com/mvantellingen/psycopg2-ctypes), which passed the
entire psycopg 2.4.4 test suite so had our "stamp of approval". More
precisely, I've never run it on PyPy: Michael did; I run it with
regular cpython (psycopg2-ctypes is not specific for PyPy: it just
happens to be pure python so it can run either on cpython, on PyPy and
whatever flavour has a ctypes implementation)

Then some PyPy-related bugs started coming in, then there was a -cffi
implementation which is supposed to be better than -ctypes but again
I'm not a good judge for it. I was hoping that somebody caring for
PyPy fixed them but nothing happened. I've avoid adding further
features to the -ctypes project under the principle of not adding
features where there are bugs.

If I see activity again on either -ctypes and -cffi and there is some
maintainer fixing PyPy issues I'd be happy to give my part to the
project, which could be implementing the missing part in pure python,
maintaining the test suite etc. I'd be also happy to have the project
under <https://github.com/psycopg/>. But I have to see it maintained,
and now either is not the case or the people hacking on it didn't get
in touch with us.

My only requirement is that anything people want to release with the
name psycopg-myflavour 2.x.y passes the entire psycopg 2.x.y test
suite (eventually with patches that I'd be happy to include in the -c
test suite, such as skipping implementation-specific tests etc). If
somebody wants to maintain such a project he will have all my support,
help etc. But I'm not going to improvise myself as a PyPy developer.

Hope everything is clear. If you have resources to contribute in
making sure a PyPy-compatible port has the same quality we try to keep
for the C implementation I'd be happy to help with it and bless it as
I can. This mailing list is the best place to organize the work:
please feel free to forward the message to PyPy people willing to hack
with us.

Cheers,

-- Daniele