Re: Getting adaped output from unicode text, without a connection - Mailing list psycopg

From Daniele Varrazzo
Subject Re: Getting adaped output from unicode text, without a connection
Date
List psycopg
On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Hefferon, James S. <jhefferon@smcvt.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to write some static .sql files (just as an explanation, it is startup code for Django).  Some of the strings
arenon-ascii.  I'm stumped about how to get utf-8 instead of latin-1 in the file.

> I'm generating the .sql as strings, without a connection.  I found a prior message on this list that suggested what
todo (1) and came up with this routine.

> def todb(s):
>     psycopg2.extensions.register_type(psycopg2.extensions.UNICODE)
>     psycopg2.extensions.register_type(psycopg2.extensions.DECIMAL)
>     psycopg2.extensions.register_type(psycopg2.extensions.FLOAT)
>     adapted = psycopg2.extensions.adapt(s)
>     return adapted.getquoted()
>
> But it encodes in latin-1.  I understand from the docs that I need to get a connection and set the .encoding
attribute,but I can't see how to get a connection instance without a db handy.  For instance,

> fails.
>
> I expect that I am asking a dopey question (I'm not very sure what I am doing) but I'd appreciate a pointer even if
itmakes me feel dumb.

No, it's not a dumb question. But I'm afraid you cannot create a
psycopg connection object without a real database connection.

If you had a working connection you could adapt the string with:

    conn.set_client_encoding('utf8')
    adapted = psycopg2.extensions.adapt(s)
    adapted.prepare(conn)
    return adapted.getquoted()

you don't need the register_type calls above: they only control how
data from the database is converted to Python.

-- Daniele