Re: missing requirement on ccache in postgresql16-devel - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Greg Hennessy
Subject Re: missing requirement on ccache in postgresql16-devel
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Thank you very much. I agree that waiting till the next minor release is fine.

Greg

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 5:42 PM Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

Hi,

> > On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 11:25:15AM -0400, Greg Hennessy wrote:
> > > The file /usr/pgsql-16/lib/pgxs/src/Makefile.global has a
> > > reference
> > > to ccache but the rpm doesn't list this as a dependency. I would
> > > like
> > > to submit that it is a bug that it does not.
>
> > Uh, ccache is an _optional_ way to speed up compilation.  It is not
> > a requirement/dependency.
>
> Yeah, but if the Makefile says "CC = ccache gcc" then anybody
> trying to build under PGXS will fail if they don't have ccache
> installed.

Makefile.global has this reference to ccache on RHEL 9 and Fedora:

CLANG = /usr/lib64/ccache/clang

which is caused by:

%if 0%{?rhel} && 0%{?rhel} == 8
        export CLANG=%{_bindir}/clang LLVM_CONFIG=%{_bindir}/llvm-config-64
%endif

(so this issue does not exist on RHEL 8).

Pushed a fix to PostgreSQL 17. I'll check the results tomorrow, and then
will patch PostgreSQL 11+.

Greg: Thanks for the report. The changes will appear in next month's
minor release set (Nov 9). I'm not inclined to push an update set just
for this issue.

Regards,
--
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, PostgreSQL Major Contributor