Re: Participate in GCI as a Mentor - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sarah Conway Schnurr
Subject Re: Participate in GCI as a Mentor
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tahir,

Thank you for spending time thinking of task ideas!

We are ideally attempting to think of tasks that could benefit PostgreSQL as a whole either through code, outreach/advocacy, quality assurance, or design based contributions, as that seems to be the trend for other tasks submitted by open source organizations. Additionally, we'd like to avoid comparison style tasks to prevent negative connotations or press around PostgreSQL or competing databases.

As an alternative, could you perhaps write up some tasks around "Performing and Documenting backing up a PostgreSQL instance"? There could be specific unique tasks for each of the backup tools, such as pgBackRest, pg_dump, pg_basebackup, pgBarman, wal-e, and wal-g. I would write up the requirements as being "Write up a 1000 word (minimum) essay" and "include a paragraph explaining in which situation the tool you're working with would be best suited".

It would most likely fall under the "Research" or "Documentation" categories, for researching and documenting their steps taken.

Following that, you could add in additional unique tasks for similar ideas, such as:
  • "Write up a new user guide for pgBackRest based on a s3 backup architecture."
  • "Compose a cheat sheet for backing up and restoring a PostgreSQL instance using X backup tool."
  • "Create well-designed online graphical resources / cheat sheets for common PostgreSQL operations for the Online Resources page on PostgreSQL.org."
  • "Create a video tutorial explaining how to backup and restore a PostgreSQL instance using X backup tool."
  • "Create a video tutorial explaining how to upgrade a PostgreSQL instance from 9.6 to 10."
Thank you!