Complete Recovery 9.4.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Will McCormick
Subject Complete Recovery 9.4.4
Date
Re: Complete Recovery 9.4.4  (David Steele <david@pgmasters.net>)
List pgsql-general
Basic backup and recovery question. I want to perform complete restore and recovery using continuous archive mode.

Lets imagine we have a single table MYTABLE. Here are my high level steps

1) Add a record  A) to MYTABLE
2) Take a file system backup to be used for recovery. This backup includes archive logs
3) Add a record B) to MYTABLE

Timeline -> incident happens need backup

4) Stop PG
5) Make copy of current state including PGDATA w/ pg_xlog and WAL archives
6) Cleanup PGDATA /wpg_xlog and WAL archive  directory
7) Restore backup taken in step 2, placing contents in PGDATA /w pg_xlog and archives
8) Remove contents of pg_xlog
9) Copy contents of pg_xlog in step 5 to PGDATA/pg_xlog
10) Create recovery.conf file with cp /database/postgres/product/9.4.4/archive/%f %p
11) Startup the server

What I see happen is 1) restores but my change in step 3) is not.

Can anyone explain why this is?