C locale versus en_US.UTF8. (Was: String comparision in PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Aleksey Tsalolikhin
Subject C locale versus en_US.UTF8. (Was: String comparision in PostgreSQL)
Date
Re: C locale versus en_US.UTF8. (Was: String comparision in PostgreSQL)  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> citext unfortunately doesn't allow for index optimization of LIKE
> queries, which IMNSHO defeats the whole purpose.  to the best way
> remains to use lower() ...
> this will be index optimized and fast as long as you specified C
> locale for your database.

What is the difference between C and en_US.UTF8, please?  We see that
the same query (that invokes a sort) runs 15% faster under the C
locale.  The output between C and en_US.UTF8 is identical.  We're
considering moving our database from en_US.UTF8 to C, but we do deal
with internationalized text.

Best,
Aleksey