Configuration and performance of Postgres/PostGIS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaozhong SHI
Subject Configuration and performance of Postgres/PostGIS
Date
List pgsql-general

Whenever geospatial functions such as St_intersects or recursive query used, the Postgres/PostGIS appears to spawn away to many child queries and just obliterate the CPU.  Nothing finishes.

That forced me to try out to do the some tasks on the FME server.

I tried to use this http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2010/07/network-walking-in-postgis.html in the Postgres/PostGIS.

I tried to linecombiner in FME.  LineCombiner | FME (safe.com).

With a large data set, the running of processors were monitored.  It was estimated the Postgres/PostGIS one would take 16 days to complete.

But, it only took a few minute to do the same thing in FME.

This suggests that something is not right with the Postages Server.

Have anyone got experience with configuration and improving performance of Postages Server?

Regards,

David