Re: Issues of slow running queries when dealing with Big Data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaozhong SHI
Subject Re: Issues of slow running queries when dealing with Big Data
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 at 22:43, Michael Lewis <mlewis@entrata.com> wrote:
Many thanks.  Is this way correct?  I am learning what is meant by 'top posting'.

Yes.

On the subject of your settings, I don't see anything for work_mem, random_page_cost and other commonly tuned parameters. That would be a good start. What sort of machine specs are there for Postgres instance? Cpu, ram, disk type (spinning disk, ssd, etc)? Are any other applications running on this machine?

Do you have an example query and explain analyze output? Are you aware of https://explain.depesz.com/ ?

Hi, Michael,

Many thanks for pointing me to the right direction.   I do not know the machine specs myself.  We have an IT person who helps my team.

As I understand, he is building a new PostGIS on Azure for us.  I will ask him.

I would like to understand the matter much better for various reasons.  If you are aware of technical papers or articles on the subject, it will be useful to me.

I have been discussing the matter with another manager.  I am also thinking about how to frame up a project as a formal project for the IT person.  If you have ideas, please let me know.  Basically, approaches and methods, areas to be investigated for tuning up performance.  So that, I can pass the information to him.  He is technically excellent, but has not got much experience in turning PostGIS for improving performance.

I need to do such type of work, in order to not only solve the problem, but provide justifications to secure his job.

I hope that you understand.

Regards,

Shao