Re: renaming configure.in to configure.ac - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: renaming configure.in to configure.ac
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 2:12 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Another issue is that we're not going to open up the main repo for
> access by non-committers, so this approach doesn't help for most
> developers.  We've had some success, I think, with Munro's cfbot
> solution --- I'd rather see that approach expanded to provide more
> test environments.

Recently I've been using Cirrus CI for my own development branches
that involve portability stuff, because it supports Linux, FreeBSD,
macOS and Windows in one place.  That's nearly half the OSes we
support, and they hinted that they might be about to add more OSes
too.  What you get (if you're lucky) is a little green check mark
beside the commit hash on github, which you can click for more info,
like this:

https://github.com/macdice/postgres/tree/cirrus-ci

The .cirrus.yml file shown in that branch is just a starting point.
See list of problems at the top; help wanted.  I also put some
information about this on
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Continuous_Integration.  I think if
we could get to a really good dot file for (say) the three providers
shown there, we should just stick them in the tree so that anyone can
turn that on for their own public development branches with a click.
Then cfbot wouldn't have to add it, but it'd still have a good reason
to exist, to catch bitrot and as a second line of defence for people
who don't opt into the first one.