Re: Collation versioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Collation versioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 4:18 AM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 11:13 AM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 4:58 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Here are some problems to think about:
> > >
> > > * We'd need to track dependencies on the default collation once we
> > > have versioning for that [...]
>
> Another problem I just thought about is how to avoid discrepancy of
> collation version for indexes on shared objects, such as
> pg_database_datname_index.

I didn't look closely at the code, but I think when "name" recently
became collation-aware (commit 586b98fd), it switched to using
C_COLLATION_OID as its typcollation, and "C" doesn't need versioning,
so I think it would only be a problem if there are shared catalogs
that have "name" columns that have a non-type-default collation.
There are none of those, and you can't create them, right?  If there
were, if we take this patch set to its logical conclusion, we'd also
need pg_shdepend.refobjversion, but we don't need it AFAICS.