Re: BUG #17928: Standby fails to decode WAL on termination of primary - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: BUG #17928: Standby fails to decode WAL on termination of primary
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Sat, Aug 12, 2023 at 2:00 AM Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 03:08:26PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > You are planning for a backpatch to take care of the inconsistency,
> > right?  The report has been on 15~ where the prefetching was
> > introduced.  I'd be OK to just do that and not mess up with the stable
> > branches more than necessary (aka ~14) if nobody complains, especially
> > REL_11_STABLE planned to be EOL'd in the next minor cycle.
>
> I recall earlier messages theorizing that it was just harder to hit in v14, so
> I'm disinclined to stop at v15.  I think the main choice is whether to stop at
> v11 (normal choice) or v12 (worry about breaking the last v11 point release).
> I don't have a strong opinion between those.

Thanks for working on this.

I wonder if we need a more explicit way to construct pages with the
right bits to reach interesting test cases and get full enough
coverage...  (Cf throwing SQL at the WAL to see if it sticks.)