Re: here does postgres take its timezone information from? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: here does postgres take its timezone information from?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 2:20 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> --with-system-tzdata=DIRECTORY
>
> > I hope that most distributions do that*, because otherwise you
> > could finish up with lots of out-of-sync copies of the tzdata database
> > inside your database, your JVM, your libc, etc etc, and you want a
> > single source of truth for that stuff.
>
> Right.  Our recommendation is to use --with-system-tzdata if you're on
> a platform where the vendor updates their copy of tzdata regularly.
> The fact that we supply a copy of tzdata at all is really just a fallback
> for folks on poorly-supported platforms.  (Naming no names here ...)

Incidentally, that's also why I don't want to give up on libc
collations quite as easily as some, despite their limitations.  It
should be possible to get all the software on your system to agree on
the ordering of two strings and the current time!

> > *It looks like FreeBSD's port uses the copy of tzdata from the
> > PostgreSQL source tree by default and thus that is what you get if you
> > install PostgreSQL with "pkg".  That's not a great default IMHO and
> > should be changed.
>
> Ugh.  Who can we poke there?

Maybe Palle?  (CCed).