Re: Collation versioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Collation versioning
Date
Re: Collation versioning
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 7:53 AM Peter Eisentraut

> >> Ack.
> >
> > Ok, here's a little patch like that.
> >
> > postgres=# select collname, collcollate, collversion from pg_collation
> > where collname = 'en_NZ';
> >  collname | collcollate | collversion
> > ----------+-------------+-------------
> >  en_NZ    | en_NZ.utf8  | 2.24
> > (1 row)
>
> After, um, briefly sleeping on this, I would like to go ahead with this.
>
> There is ongoing work to make ICU available globally, and as part of
> that I've also proposed a way to make the collation version tracking
> work on a database level.
>
> This here would be a useful piece on the overall picture.  Independent
> of what becomes of the ICU effort, we could have glibc collation version
> tracking completely working for PG13.

+1

Also, better ideas about which objects to attach versions to can come
along independently of this.

> The only open question on this patch was whether it's a good version to
> use.  I think based on subsequent discussions, there was the realization
> that this is the best we can do and better than nothing.
>
> In the patch, I would skip the configure test and just do
>
> #ifdef __GLIBC__
>
> directly.

Ok.  Here's one like that.  Also, a WIP patch for FreeBSD.

Thanks,
Thomas

Attachment