Re: Collation versioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Collation versioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 2:56 PM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
> initdb works fine. I ran vcregress upgradecheck and it passes.
>
> With my default locale of English.New Zealand.1252 I get zero rows from:
>
> select * from pg_depend where coalesce(refobjversion,'') <> '';
>
> if I initdb with --lc-collate=en-NZ, it works and I see:
>
> postgres=# select * from pg_depend where coalesce(refobjversion,'') <> '';
>  classid | objid | objsubid | refclassid | refobjid | refobjsubid |
> deptype |  refobjversion
>     2606 | 12512 |        0 |       3456 |      100 |           0 | n
>      | 1538.14,1538.14
> (1 row)

Thanks for all the help and testing!  Pushed.  If we don't come up
with something better I'll need to figure out how to explain this in
the manual.  (Will no one rid us of these meddlesome old format locale
names?  It seems like pg_locale.c could drop a lot of rather
unpleasant code if initdb, CREATE COLLATION, and CREATE DATABASE
didn't allow them into the catalogue in the first place...)