Re: Speed up clean meson builds by ~25% - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Speed up clean meson builds by ~25%
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 5:01 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2024 at 12:23:56PM +0300, Nazir Bilal Yavuz wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 at 11:00, Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> As I wrote in [1], I didn't observe the issue with clang-18, so maybe it
> >> is fixed already.
> >> Perhaps it's worth rechecking...
> >>
> >> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/d2bf3727-bae4-3aee-65f6-caec2c4ebaa8%40gmail.com
> >
> > I had this problem on my local computer. My build times are:
> >
> > gcc: 20s
> > clang-15: 24s
> > clang-16: 105s
> > clang-17: 111s
> > clang-18: 25s
>
> Interesting.  A parallel build of ecpg shows similar numbers here:
> clang-16: 101s
> clang-17: 112s
> clang-18: 14s
> gcc: 10s

I don't expect it to get fixed BTW, because it's present in 16.0.6,
and .6 is the terminal release, if I understand their system
correctly.  They're currently only doing bug fixes for 18, and even
there not for much longer. Interesting that not everyone saw this at
first, perhaps the bug arrived in a minor release that some people
didn't have yet?  Or perhaps there is something special required to
trigger it?