Re: here does postgres take its timezone information from? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: here does postgres take its timezone information from?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 3:40 AM Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net> wrote:
> The decision to use postgresql's tzdata is quite old. It was based on the assumption that postgres is updated more
frequentlythan the operating system, and that for that reason it was better to use postgresql's tzdata, since it would
bemore accurate more often. This is probably not true anymore, so I agree it should probably be changed to
default=system-tzdataon FreeBSD.

> I will commit an upgrade in Thursday, and unless anybody raise their voice against it, I will change the default
settingthen.

Thanks!

FreeBSD users already have the choice between zoneinfo from base or
the misc/zoneinfo port if for some reason they want to control tzdata
updates separately.  PostgreSQL and FreeBSD both track tzdata closely,
and both pushed a commit for version 2019c into their stable branches
within a couple of weeks of it being released, so I don't foresee any
problem with this change, and staying in sync with libc seems to
outweigh any other concerns IMHO.

https://www.iana.org/time-zones
https://github.com/postgres/postgres/tree/REL_12_STABLE/src/timezone/data
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/tree/stable/12/contrib/tzdata