Re: pgsql: Add PSQL_WATCH_PAGER for psql's \watch command. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: pgsql: Add PSQL_WATCH_PAGER for psql's \watch command.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 6:17 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Just how badly did you want to use sigwait here?  I'm having
> considerable second thoughts about the value of that change
> versus the hoops we're going to have to jump through to use it.

I'm sure I could find another way if it comes to it.  The original
proposal had a sleep(0.1) loop... I thought this was more elegant, but
obviously I didn't know about this portability problem and there are
surely other ways.  (Searching for sigwait in the archives brings up
some fun discussion of other long forgotten dinosaurs that also had
this problem.)

> (I suppose a hacky solution might be to never define USE_SIGWAIT
> on Solaris.)

Yeah I was thinking about that.  I've just got a shell on an illumos
VM and will try a couple of ideas out if I can remember how to drive
this thing... more soon.