Re: Understanding, testing and improving our Windows filesystem code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Understanding, testing and improving our Windows filesystem code
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 8:58 PM Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
> For my understanding, does this entry supersede the proposal in
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/40/3347/ ?

I think so (Victor hasn't commented).  Patch 0004 derives from
Victor's patch and has him as primary author still, but I made some
changes:

* remove obsolete version check code
* provide fallback code for systems where it doesn't work (after some
research to determine that there are such systems, and what they do)
* test that it's really more POSIX-like and demonstrate what that
means (building on 0003)

Patch 0003 is a set of file system semantics tests that work on Unix,
but also exercise those src/port/*.c wrappers on Windows and show
differences from Unix semantics.  Some of these tests also verify
various bugfixes already committed, so they've been pretty useful to
me already even though they aren't in the tree yet.

Patches 0001 and 0002 are generic, unrelated to this Windows stuff,
and  provide a simple way to write unit tests for small bits of C code
without a whole PostgreSQL server.  That's something that has been
proposed in the abstract many times before by many people.  Here I've
tried to be minimalist about it, just what I needed for the
higher-numbered patches, building on existing technologies (TAP).