Re: 12.2: Howto check memory-leak in worker? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: 12.2: Howto check memory-leak in worker?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 10:13 AM Peter <pmc@citylink.dinoex.sub.org> wrote:
> BTW, I would greatly appreciate if we would reconsider the need for
> the server to read the postmaster.pid file every few seconds (probably
> needed for something, I don't know).
> That makes it necessary to set atime=off to get a spindown, and I
> usually prefer to have atime=on so I can see what my stuff is
> currently doing.

That'd be this:

        /*
         * Once a minute, verify that postmaster.pid hasn't been removed or
         * overwritten.  If it has, we force a shutdown.  This avoids having
         * postmasters and child processes hanging around after their database
         * is gone, and maybe causing problems if a new database cluster is
         * created in the same place.  It also provides some protection
         * against a DBA foolishly removing postmaster.pid and manually
         * starting a new postmaster.  Data corruption is likely to ensue from
         * that anyway, but we can minimize the damage by aborting ASAP.
         */
        if (now - last_lockfile_recheck_time >= 1 * SECS_PER_MINUTE)
        {
            if (!RecheckDataDirLockFile())