Re: Probable CF bot degradation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Probable CF bot degradation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 3:11 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2022-03-21 14:44:55 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > Those tooltips come from the "name" elements of the .cirrus.yml file
> > where tasks are defined, with Cirrus's task status appended.  If we
> > had a set of monochrome green and red icons with a Linux penguin,
> > FreeBSD daemon, Windows logo and Apple logo of matching dimensions, a
> > config file could map task names to icons, and fall back to
> > ticks/crosses for anything unknown/new, including the
> > "CompilerWarnings" one that doesn't have an obvious icon.  Another
> > thing to think about is the 'solid' and 'hollow' variants, the former
> > indicating a recent change.  So we'd need 4 variants of each logo.
> > Also I believe there is a proposal to add NetBSD and OpenBSD in the
> > works.
>
> Might even be sufficient to add just the first letter of the task inside the
> circle, instead of the "check" and x. Right now the letters are unique.

Nice idea, because it retains the information density.  If someone
with web skills would like to pull down the cfbot page and hack up one
of the rows to show an example of a pass, fail, recent-pass,
recent-fail as a circle with a letter in it, and also an "in progress"
symbol that occupies the same amoutn of space, I'd be keen to try
that.  (The current "in progress" blue circle was originally supposed
to be a pie filling up slowly according to a prediction of finished
time based on past performance, but I never got to that... it's stuck
at 1/4 :-))