Re: BUG #18196: Databases Created in Turkish Language Will Not Run on the Latest Version of Windows - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: BUG #18196: Databases Created in Turkish Language Will Not Run on the Latest Version of Windows
Date
AW: BUG #18196: Databases Created in Turkish Language Will Not Run on the Latest Version of Windows  (Wilm Hoyer <W.Hoyer@dental-vision.de>)
Re: BUG #18196: Databases Created in Turkish Language Will Not Run on the Latest Version of Windows  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
List pgsql-bugs

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BhUKGJ%3DXThErgAQRoqfCy1bKPxXVuF0%3D2zDbB%2BSxDs59pv7Fw%40mail.gmail.com

> I don't have Windows to test, but wouldn't the problem be avoided if
> people created their cluster with "--locale=tr-TR"?  If yes, EDB's
> Windows installer should be modified to use the correct locale names.
> Is anybody from EDB reading this?

That would have the same effect as that patch.  I believe that is the
right thing to do, but I am not sure about one detail: the lack of
encoding on the end of the name.  Does the encoding remain the same as
the traditional one for that language, and stable, or when you haven't
explicitly named it, might it depend on the registry/control panel
"ACP", that could in theory change?  If it does, what happens?  Should
we put it on the end to pin it down?  When we tried that it had some
effect, but didn't seem to have the expected [by me] effect on ctype
(eg case conversion of the famous Turkish i); it appears that having
ACP != LC_TYPE gives some Frankenstein behaviour, but I don't
understand it, and I think you'd also want to determine in which cases
strcoll_l() is behaving sensibly with various combinations.  This may
all be pre-existing stuff well understood by people who worked on the
Windows port?  I don't have Windows to test.

(How nice it would be to use ICU by default!)