Re: Failures in constraints regression test, "read only 0 of 8192 bytes" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Failures in constraints regression test, "read only 0 of 8192 bytes"
Date
Re: Failures in constraints regression test, "read only 0 of 8192 bytes"
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 9:30 AM Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> Barring objections, I'll commit the attached.

+1

I guess the comment for smgrreleaseall() could also be updated.  It
mentions only PROCSIGNAL_BARRIER_SMGRRELEASE, but I think sinval
overflow (InvalidateSystemCaches()) should also be mentioned?

> Hmm, I'm not sure if we need even smgrreleaseall() here anymore. It's
> not required for correctness AFAICS. We don't do it in single-rel
> invalidation in RelationCacheInvalidateEntry() either.

I think we do, because we have missed sinval messages.  It's unlikely
but a relfilenode might have been recycled, and we might have file
descriptors that point to the unlinked files.  That is, there are new
files with the same names and we need to open those ones.