Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 2:27 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> I am just cautious about changing behavior on our most common platform
> for a libc library I have never heard of.

Yeah, I hear you.  I don't have a dog in this race, I just like
retro-computing mysteries and arguments about the meaning of
standards...  That said I'm pretty sure no one should be running
production PostgreSQL systems held together by LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and if
they do, it looks like systemd/rc.d scripts set a bunch of PG_OOM_BLAH
stuff just before the start the cluster that would provide extra chaff
in front of LD_XXX stuff defined earlier, and then pg_ctl inserts even
more, and even if they don't use any of that stuff and just run the
postmaster directly with some other homegrown tooling, now we're down
to very niche/expert scenarios where it should be acceptable to point
to this thread that says "try setting an extra dummy variable after
you set LD_XXX!".