Re: Probable CF bot degradation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Probable CF bot degradation
Date
Re: Probable CF bot degradation
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 1:41 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> BTW, I think that the usability of the CFBot website would be improved
> if there was a better visual indicator of what each "green tick inside
> a circle" link actually indicates -- what are we testing for each
> green tick/red X shown?
>
> I already see tooltips which show a descriptive string (for example a
> tooltip that says "FreeBSD - 13: COMPLETED" which comes from
> <title></title> tags), which is something. But seeing these tooltips
> requires several seconds of mouseover on my browser (Chrome). I'd be
> quite happy if I could see similar tooltips immediately on mouseover
> (which isn't actually possible with standard generic tooltips IIUC),
> or something equivalent. Any kind of visual feedback on the nature of
> the thing tested by a particular CI run that the user can drill down
> to (you know, a Debian logo next to the tick, that kind of thing).

Nice idea, if someone with graphics skills is interested in looking into it...

Those tooltips come from the "name" elements of the .cirrus.yml file
where tasks are defined, with Cirrus's task status appended.  If we
had a set of monochrome green and red icons with a Linux penguin,
FreeBSD daemon, Windows logo and Apple logo of matching dimensions, a
config file could map task names to icons, and fall back to
ticks/crosses for anything unknown/new, including the
"CompilerWarnings" one that doesn't have an obvious icon.  Another
thing to think about is the 'solid' and 'hollow' variants, the former
indicating a recent change.  So we'd need 4 variants of each logo.
Also I believe there is a proposal to add NetBSD and OpenBSD in the
works.