Re: GROUP BY DISTINCT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: GROUP BY DISTINCT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 10:14 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> >> The only possibility I can think of is some sort of issue in the old-ish
> >> gcc release (4.7.2).
> >
> > No sure what's going on there, but data points: I tried a 32 bit build
> > here (that's the other special thing about lapwing) and didn't see the
> > warning.  GCC 10.  Also curculio (gcc 4.2) and snapper (gcc 4.7) are
> > also showing this warning, but they don't have -Werror so they don't
> > fail.  sidewinder (gcc 4.8) is not showing the warning.
> >

> Thanks for the info. So it's likely related to older gcc releases. The
> question is how to tweak the code to get rid of this ...

It's frustrating to have to do press-ups to fix a problem because a
zombie Debian 7 system is running with -Werror (though it's always
possible that it's telling us something interesting...).  Anyway, I
think someone with a GCC < 4.8 compiler would have to investigate.  I
was hoping to help, but none of my systems have one in easy-to-install
format...