Re: PostgreSQL 9.2 Logging - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raghavendra
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.2 Logging
Date
List pgsql-general
My issue is the logging information is fairly missing / light. I only
see auth failures and nothing more. I tried to perform my 1st VACUUM
command on my database and I was hoping to see something in the logs
showing it PASSED / FAILED or even was manually initiated by a
superuser role but I see nothing...

AFAIK, there's no separate flags written in logs for any utility commands like succeeded or not.
Albeit, you can log the command executed and the time consumed.

I don't need to log every single verbose thing this database server
does but I would expect something like a VACUUM command would be
warranted to be logged, no?
Do you PG veterans have any log change recommendations / changes I can
make which would help me understand what my system is doing? I don't
want to log every little thing possible and choke my disk with
informative logging but just basic 'what's going on' logs would be
awesome.

You can control the logging model with many parameters in postgresql.conf file, however,
log_min_duration_statement will help you log only those statements which are taking some X seconds.

For example: If I want to log only statement which are taking more than a second, I might not bother what are
those statement then I would set like:

postgres=# show log_min_duration_statement ;
 log_min_duration_statement
 1s
(1 row)

This will log every statement equal or greater than the values passed to it. Now in my logs:

2013-08-13 03:07:01.146 IST [14152]: [9-1] db=,user= LOG:  parameter "log_min_duration_statement" changed to "1s"
2013-08-13 03:08:03.297 IST [26559]: [1-1] db=d1,user=postgres LOG:  duration: 2159.281 ms  statement: vacuum VERBOSE ANALYZE ;

---
Regards,
Raghavendra
EnterpriseDB Corporation